If you have a business that uses any form of digital marketing to grow then you need to know how to use SEO to your advantage. SEO can be an incredible resource, there are so many ways it can help you grow your business and increase your sales.
How To Use SEO To Your Advantage To Grow Your Business:
There are so many different ways SEO can grow your business and you can use some of these methods, all of them, or even mix and match which ones suit you the best.
1. Grow your brand awareness
Using organic traffic to improve your brand awareness is one of the easiest ways to use SEO to your advantage. The more people you get reading and sharing your blog posts and content the better it will be for your business.
2. Increase your traffic
An obvious one, however still really important to touch upon it. In its most basic form SEO will increase traffic to your website, the more traffic to your website the better all-round for your business
3. Grow your email list
4. Sell Your Courses
This is a favourite of mine (I even contributed a chapter on it for the book Make Money While You Sleep by the fabulous Lucy Griffiths) and it ties in with the email building as well, adding your course lead magnet to your blog posts on the run-up to a launch can help you sell either direct from the posts themselves or via your emails. Either way, SEO will help you sell a LOT more courses.
5. Sell your products
If you run an e-commerce website then you cannot afford to not focus on SEO as part of your marketing, a good SEO strategy for your product pages will allow you to sell your products around the clock.
6. Book out your services
7. Increase your sales
8. Turn your website into a 24/7 salesperson
Know What You Want
- Setting SEO goals before you start your SEO campaign is vital.
- Goals should be realistic, short, medium, long term.
- Goals should be actionable, they should fit into your marketing processes easily.
- Your goal should NOT be to get to position 1. Targeting a position is a vanity metric.
- Your goals should be to increase traffic, increase sales, grow your email list, and sell your courses and page 1 rankings are the tool to get you there.
How Google Sees You
Once you have picked your goals you need to know how your website looks to Google. Google has hundreds of ranking factors not even SEOs know what they are all (I’m not sure even the good people at Google know what they all are!)
You need to know how Google views your website against those factors as it will affect how highly you rank. Carrying out an SEO audit can help you with this and SEO tools like Sitebub, screaming frog, SEMrush, and Ahrefs can carry out technical audits.
Or you can hire an SEO professional to carry out a full in-depth audit of your website, they will cover everything the tools do and so much more. They will dig deeper, and look at your competitors, your content gaps, your rankings, and potential rankings.
An audit carried out by an SEO professional may cost a little more but it’s a much deeper more detailed audit. (You can check out my SEO audit package here)
Carrying out an audit will help you create a list of errors that need to be fixed it’s important to understand not all tasks will have the same weight of importance as not all tasks will be a priority. Therefore focus on the ones that will have the biggest impact on your search performance
- Make a list of relevant topics (10 is a good place to start).
- Then compile a list of keywords you think might work for those topics (at least 5 for each topic).
- Then you want to research those phrases to check volume, relevance, and difficulty (tools like keywords everywhere or Ahrefs can help with keyword research).
- You should aim to target a range of easy, moderate, and difficult keywords
Long-tail keywords of 3 words or more are best especially when just starting out.
- Don’t be afraid of targeting low-volume keywords.
- Track and adjust where necessary.
- Applying your keyword research.
- Header Tags.
- Internal Links.
- Anchor text.
- Image optimisation.
- External link.
- Title tags (50-60 characters).
- Meta descriptions.
- Protocalls (for example – Http V HTTPS).
Creating blogging content clusters is one of the best ways to drive traffic to your site and grow your business.
A content cluster is a group of related topics and keywords that you build your website’s content around.
Content clusters help you rank higher in search engines for the keywords you’re targeting. They also help you create a better user experience because they group together all of the information someone might be looking for on a specific topic.
So let’s sum up how to use SEO to your advantage and grow your business and your sales!
- Set SEO Goals.
- See how Google Sees You.
- Optimise your web pages.
- Create amazing content.
- Watch your traffic increase, your email list soar, your courses sell, and your sales rise!
I would love to know if you found this post useful? Pop a comment in the box below and let me know which parts you hope to implement in your own SEO campaign and I would love it if you can give this post a share!